Many businesses are seeking to maximise revenue through various changes to their sales force structure – in particular, by trying to determine the optimal configuration of their sales force to meet specific targets and budgets. Research shows that changes to territory structure, team size, resource skill sets, and so on, can significantly impact revenue and profitability. The problem however, is being able to accurately predict the impact of these changes before actually implementing them.
Given the significant cost, complexity, and uncertainty of performing real-world experiments on sales force size, distribution, and activities, most businesses are unable to determine what their optimal structure should be. They find that it’s too difficult and risky to run large-scale experiments in the field to determine the outcome, especially given the significant "time lag" between action and observed result. As a result, changes in the sales force structure are limited to incremental trial and error, leading to subpar and disappointing results.
A solution to this business challenge is the application of simulation and optimisation models to accurately predict the result of any hypothetical change – in effect enabling the mantra of "know before you act". Complexica's What-if Simulator can help you reduce risk and achieve a better outcome by providing "what-if" decision support to:
- Optimise sale force structure across the dimensions of size, roles and geography
- Refine sales & marketing activities to deliver more impact for similar levels of activity
- Model current and future market conditions and develop an optimal response for a range of different scenarios
- Model current or proposed sales & marketing investments to understand their effectiveness and impact
- Increase sales force effectiveness through optimised allocation of the right staff to the right activities at the right time