Considering that promotions account for almost 25% of the marketing budget for consumer product companies, and 20% of revenue for FMCG companies, it's critical to optimise retail promotional activities and trade spend allocation. And yet, despite this enormous level of investment, most manufacturers and retailers don't optimise or even measure their promotional effectiveness. In most cases, the common practice is to take last year's plan and tweak it, without identifying ways to improve or optimise.
Due to the inherent complexity of the process, most companies use home-grown spreadsheets and ad-hoc reports for promotion planning and trade spend allocation, resulting in common problems such as:
- Manual handling and manipulation of data from a variety of sources, leading to data integrity issues and substantial time inefficiencies
- Significant time, expertise, and labour required to analyse just a few scenarios and determine their effectiveness, making it impractical to conduct a comprehensive analysis to find a truly optimised plan or allocation
- Inability to drive volume and margin predictions within markets
- Inability to generate optimised promotional plans
- Inability to collect and take advantage of competitor data
We can help you address these commonplace problems through Complexica's Promotional Campaign Manager (PCM), which provides robust and easy-to-use planning, analysis, prediction, and optimisation capabilities. To explore how Complexica can improve your promotional planning process and optimise the return on promotional activities, please contact us